Monday, January 2, 2012

Eating Healthy

Getting a craving for one of my favorite salads.


My sister is a personal trainer with years of experience helping others to better manage their overall health.  This recipe comes from her through my granddaughter, Day.  She first made it for me and I've been making some version of it almost weekly ever since.


Layer these ingredients in a large bowl, in this order:


Mixed greens drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and garlic powder (or romaine, or spinach or any combination)
cooked rice (this can be jasmine, black, pink, brown depending on your preference)
cooked black beans
 salsa (best to use one with a good amount of juice and cilantro as this will blend with the olive oil as a dressing)
tortilla chips crumbled on top (I like to make my own with fresh corn tortillas but your favorite bagged version works great)


All ingredient amounts will vary according to your own preference like extra greens, olive oil and garlic.  Once you've made this basic recipe, you can get creative by adding other healthy choices like corn, avocado, cucumbers, black olives or even trying some substituting like pinto beans or kidney beans instead of black beans.  I like to add extra fresh cilantro and garlic.  If you're not a vegetarian, you can also substitute ground hamburger or turkey for the beans.


The mix of flavors is heavenly!  Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ads